Interesting Argumentative Essay Topics for Middle School Students
Argumentative essays are great assignments for middle school students learning the elements of great writing. But they can seem very daunting for both students and teachers in terms of coming up with some good topics that are interesting and keep students motivated to put in lots of effort towards the assignment. Here is a list of 10 interesting topics that would make for great argumentative essays for middle school students:
- Zoos and the ethics of keeping animals. Zoos are considered poor alternatives for nature, but are there other viable alternatives that can ensure animals’ safety when even wild-life reserves are vulnerable to the most determined poachers?
- What would make for a great new school subject? If you had a choice to vote on a new school subject what would it be and why?
- Should a dress code or uniform be applied to teachers? For the most part, teachers already have to abide by a professional dress code, but should a uniform policy be applied if students are made to wear uniforms?
- Nuclear weapons and global peace. Since nuclear weapons were invented there has been an undeniable global peace. Does this mean that having nuclear weapons have served to deter global war or are the threats they pose more sinister than we like to believe?
- The effectiveness of capital punishment. Does capital punishment work to curb violent crimes? Or will crime continue no matter the punishment, meaning that execution is really just a way for society to have closure.
- Textbooks versus notebook computers. As technology has advanced tremendously in the last twenty years, is it time to take the next step and issue notebook computers instead of textbooks to students?
- Should wealth be divided more evenly? Should wealthy nations distribute their wealth and resources more evenly among the poorer countries in the world? Would this benefit the richest countries in any way?
- Space exploration and funding. Space exploration received, at one point, a large slice of government funding, but now has fallen wayside and needs to look towards more private funding that public. Is it important that space exploration receive more funding?
- Should we tax unhealthy foods more? Should there be an added tax on sugary drinks, unhealthy snacks, sweets and any of a number of other foods which are linked to obesity?
- Endangered animals and protection laws. Should we do something more to protect endangered animals around the world? Despite our efforts there are hundreds of species that will die out in our lifetime. Do we have responsibility to protect them?