20 Acute Essay Prompts On Gender Roles For University Students
Gender and topics related to it have always created a debate that never ends. Most people think of feminism and women whenever gender is mentioned. However, there is more to gender than focusing on inequalities between men and women.
University students, who may deal with gender related issues, may find themselves short of essay topics. Here are some prompts that may help them
- Masculinity and feminine norms: The society has dictated masculine and feminine roles and expectations. Anyone who strays from those norms is frowned upon.
- Gender identity: There are so many topics in gender identity that students can focus on - gender roles, co-modification and advertisements. When it comes to advertising, men and women are assigned different roles. Women will be given roles that match the traits ascribed to them. The same case applies to men.
- Sexual orientation: With the recent rising cases of lesbianism, gay-ism, same sex marriage and sexual reassignment, such concepts offer viable essay topics.
- Gender expression and the social norms: Gender states that you are either man or woman. Anything outside the social norm is considered outcast.
- Gender role development: This is an important area when it comes to human development.
- The male and female gender constructs Cultural beliefs dictate that there are two biological sexes-male and female. There are a lot of stereotypes and ascribed associated with each gender.
- The relationship between sex and gender roles: There is a correlation between the sex and gender roles of men and women as per the societal and cultural expectations.
- Gender mainstreaming: This basically deals with ensuring that gender needs of men and women are met in a manner that is far and just.
- Changing gender roles: In the past, there were specific roles for men and women. However, the trends are changing.
- Gender socialization process: The socialization process begins at birth and total compliance is expected from both genders.
- Race, gender and ethnic groups: There are different expectations for different genders.
- Family, marriage and gender roles: How families and marriage relate to gender roles
- Gender roles and literature: How literature depicts women and men
- Gender roles and sports: The different games and roles played by men and women
- Infanticide: It is a gender issue that affects women
- Political affiliations: The roles and positions of women and men in the political arena
- Gender inequalities: Gender inequalities exist in all spheres of life.
- Gender stereotypes: Gender stereotype is basically the overgeneralization of characteristics of a group based on their gender.
- Professional inequalities: Women face inequality in their professional lives.
- Gender roles and films: How do movie producers depict women and men and their respective roles?